World | Israel and Palestinians Israel Accepts Egyptian Ceasefire Proposal Palestine had already accepted the plan By Newser Editors and Wire Services Posted Aug 4, 2014 4:30 PM CDT Copied A Palestinian woman passes by rescuers inspecting the rubble of destroyed houses following Israeli strikes in Rafah refugee camp, southern Gaza Strip, Monday, Aug. 4, 2014. (Khalil Hamra) See 2 more photos A senior Israeli official says the Israeli government has accepted an Egyptian ceasefire proposal to end a month-long war against Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip. The official says a preliminary 72-hour truce will begin in the morning. An Israeli delegation will head to Egypt for talks meant to work out a long-term truce in the next three days. The official said Israel will be watching "with a certain amount of skepticism," since previous ceasefire plans have quickly collapsed. He spoke on condition of anonymity pending a formal announcement by the Israeli government. Palestinian officials have already said they accepted the Egyptian proposal. Read These Next The Air Force has changed its tune on Ashli Babbitt. Open that wallet big time for a trip to Disney, if you can afford it. Minneapolis shooter had a plan—and grievances. A 'tense' clash with RFK Jr. led to CDC chief's trouble. See 2 more photos Report an error