President Trump is openly weighing whether to hit Iran with what he calls a "limited" military strike if it refuses to accept new curbs on its nuclear program. Asked Friday if such an option was on the table to push Tehran toward a deal, the president replied, "I guess I can say I am considering that," per a White House pool report cited by the Hill. A day earlier, Trump had said that Iran had roughly 10 to 15 days to reach an agreement, adding, "We're going to make a deal or get a deal one way or the other."
The Wall Street Journal previously reported that the White House is eyeing initial strikes on select military or government targets, with the possibility of a wider campaign if Iran still balks. Just last week, Trump said that getting Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran's supreme leader, out of power would be "the best thing that could happen," per the Washington Post. A senior regional official in Iran, meanwhile, tells the Hill that even a small attack could derail talks.
Speaking Friday on Morning Joe, Iran Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said threats and attacks won't shift Tehran's stance and noted that the US isn't currently demanding "zero enrichment." As the USS Gerald R. Ford moves closer to the region and Iran conducts military drills with Russia, Tehran is vowing to respond with max force against US assets if any strike comes. The Ford and its sister warships were said to be nearing the Strait of Gibraltar on Thursday, with sources telling the Post that that positioning "[makes] an attack possible within days."